Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Periodontal What?

Periodontal disease....
is a silent killer???

Was that what got Grandpa? Cut down by a heart attack at about my age?
Was that what caused Mom's heart attack, and my tooth loss?

So when I was told I would need Gum surgery,
I started my internet searches....
It all sounded weird.

Now, in 2010, they hit the deep pockets of infection, below the gums with a laser tuned to kill the specific bad bacteria. Then they make a sterile blood clot which self dissolves over time and healing. Keep your fingers crossed. I had it done this morning.
Now I wait, take it easy and drink cool fluids, milkshakes, antibiotics, ice packs.
Oh yes, and the visa bill will come and I will say to myself, European vacation? Not this year.
This year I am preventing a heart attack!

We all want to think nothing catches up with us, that we are invincible.
We all do.
I know this having spent so many years working at the bedside of dead and dying people.
A common theme, Why Me? Why Now? What next?

So although I should have seen it coming, my periodontal disease (Ok I own it now), is my disease. Add it to my portfolio.

Now as long as I have to have surgery, why not go to a competent, clean and concerned doctor?
My criteria:

1. One who listens

2. They give you time to talk

3. They don't mess around (this is hard to define)

4. They are recommended by someone you really trust

Now just sit back and relax. Go with the flow.
If you have to have perio surgery,
Try these guys:

http://www.champlainperio.com/

And don't go have a heart attack over a little periodontal disease....
public service announcement brought to you by the travelogue for the universe
i'm mary gerdt and i approve this message...

2 comments:

  1. Beats the political ads I'm seeing on tee-vee now! This was great! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch! Healing is better than anticipated knock on wood.Mary

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments. Have a great day in the Universe!