Thursday, May 13, 2010

Robert Frost Country

The Middlebury area where I work is really the epicenter of Robert Frost culture when he was most famous.
He did live in many places but this is one you feel he is very connected to as well as the place connected with him and images became trademarks, local lore and a backdrop for the best poetry.
So today the Travelogue goes up the mountain to Ripton. I get vertigo so the 15% grades are a challenge but with enough leaves on the trees and some deep breathing I made the ascent and descent without a hitch.
I really imagined How Robert (did friends call him Rob, Bob?) went up and down the same way. There are few roads on a mountain. This follows the river which I could see can get really wild.
The road crew is paving today, on the impossible 15% grade and I marvelled at the angle.
Someday I will return to Ripton to see his farmhouse. For now, I am satisfied I travelled the less travelled road Robert did, and perhaps I am all the better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. Have a great day in the Universe!