Monday, July 5, 2021

Monday

 Another Week, Another YouTube, Another Choice.

The Ordinary Office 

Alone Together 

My contribution to Yesterday’s’ service 




I held Mom’s hand tightly as we walked a block to the First Presbyterian Church in Edwardsville, Illinois.
It was about 1965.
I was 6. 
I was always up for a new adventure,
Beyond the schoolyard we walked past.
Beyond the House we lived in. Parents and 7 siblings.
Sam was just born.
We were in the Peak of the Baby Boom.
No Technology, No Bic Pens, No Email, Internet, Cable TV.
We could hear the Birds.

We walked past Mr. and Mrs. Kuethe’s House, 
My self adopted Grandparents.
She peered out the kitchen window,
Telltale curtain wave.
The other homes shades pulled,
Sunday morning.
Workers rested.

The Pews were hard
The message muddy
The music filled me
The walls endlessly fascinating
My poor neighbors scrimped to put money in the plate that went around.
What Price Redemption?
The Pastor Friendly
Shaking hands with Each of Us
It was a Safe Place

We did this every Sunday,
Mom never had anyone to go with her.
I was always up for Church.
One day She told me She“owed” the Church,
Thus began My Understanding.

Mom said when I was born,
Number 5,
Their Money wasn’t enough to pay the bills.
They lost their House,
The one Dad stick built,
A beautiful forest home
I don’t remember.

Mom said they moved into 
My Childhood Home
And The Church gave them
Food, Milk for the Baby…
Me…
And some other donations.
Mom owed them.
In her Stoic Proud Stubborn Swedish Bohemian Manner,
She Felt she owed them.

I was 13 and took Confirmation classes.
Thinking again of debts to the Church,
This religion thing was Uncomfortable.
I told Mom I wanted to quit.
She asked me to get confirmed first.
After some back and forth,
I consented.

Never again would I go into a building of Worship
Except for Weddings and Funerals.

Then I noticed Dave Lucas on Twitter
He described his Church without Walls.
I can sit comfortably in my home and tune in
As often as I like, share, chat with others on Twitter.
My Husband and I are alone out here, where we like the quiet and woods.
I never want to leave.
Together with 
The Ordinary Office 
I am participating in Worship and Prayer with likeminded people all over the World.
Together.
Alone by Choice 
Together by the Grace of God.
Amen 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. Have a great day in the Universe!