Friday, July 9, 2021

Friday Night Musik and a Little Art Talk

 1933

USA was in the Great Depression.

Music and Art were Therapy for the masses.

Duke Ellington was in the Top of the Charts.

Miriam McKinnie and a group of artists in the 

St. Louis area started the Sainte Genevieve Art Guild

Miriam McKinnie is an artist I wish I had known. She lived and had a Studio in 

Edwardsville, Illinois, the Town I grew up in. 

She painted Mother Goose Story scenes on the walls of the children’s book section of the Public Library after a fire burned part of the library and destroyed several works of hers.

My Aunt Marge had a collection of Miriam’s artwork. War scenes. Great Art.

Her hallway like a museum. Marge wanted to see Miriam established as a Significant Influential Woman Artist.

Fast forward to a trip to visit my parents, both deceased now.

I admired a picture Mom had called “Dead Tree”

Mom hated it .

Her friends Dorothy and Sissy had a Farm. 

One day Miriam asked to draw a Tree on their Farm.

Dorothy and Sissy agreed, thinking of the beautiful majestic trees they had.

Miriam drew the Dead Tree.

Dorothy and Sissy were quite disappointed and gave it to Mom.

When I admired it so, Mom asked if I wanted it.

I was really excited. Yes!

It hung on our walls many years.

I researched Miriam McKinnie and grew to admire her Style and Talent.

As I’ve been aging, I think about what would be a good home for Dead Tree/

I finally decided on Edwardsville Public Library.

They didn’t have room!

So I did more research and found an artist group she was a part of, indeed 

Miriam was one of the Founders.

I wrote them to see if they would take care of Dead Tree, restore her, promise to always have her on display except when necessary for maintenance and never sell her.

They were thrilled with open arms.They agreed to my terms.

They sent me this letter 





Dead Tree

By Miriam McKinnie 


Sainte Genevieve Art Guild Started around 1933

https://maa.missouri.edu/sites/default/files/docents/docentguidemidwesternview_2011.pdf


What was playing on the Record Player in 1933







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. Have a great day in the Universe!