Thursday, April 9, 2009

Wrong turns and the last song on a CD

Wrong Turns and the last song on a CD
Today I did a home visit and thought ahead to google the map.
Print the map and out the door.
Part way there I found it had only printed the segments of the map where I already knew the way. I tried to retrieve the rest of the map in my head.
I thought I knew it.
When passing my turn I saw the sign as some impatient moron was on my tail.
About that time the last song ended, specifically #13 on The Story by Brandi Carlisle.
I went another mile until I could pull off in a parking lot to check my old faithful printed map of the county. I carefully unfold the worn out but welcome creased tattered map and plan my route.
I got back on the road heading north and forgot to advance the song back to #1 which is what I usually do.
Suddenly a surprise I was amazed. Another song.
Wow.
It was good.
Where was it?
After song 13 there was 2 minutes or so of dead silence. Then the real last song. I listened a few more times to the whole cut on my driving around the county and to the office.
I was amazed that a random wrong turn and combination of simple acts can lead to the discovery of a surprise you had all along.

Brandi Carlisle's CD itself is good.
One of my favorite lines of her and band's original work:
Broken sticks and broken stones,
they turn to dust just like our bones,
it's words that hurt the most, isn't it?

My advice for a change?
Get lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. Have a great day in the Universe!