Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pretty maids



Pretty maids all in a row...

My grandmother Fanny was born in the 1800's which makes me feel sometimes like I am Rip Van Winkle in 2010. I have often felt like I was born too late and my mother born to early. Fanny made these squares like so many others in the last depression of the 1930's. Suzy Sunbonnet is the pattern which in 2010 is easy to look up on the internet. I believe the fabric is from old flour and sugar sacks that people fashioned into clothing and blankets during the depression. Mom gave me the squares years ago and I was terrified of washing them. Then Fred started making homemade laundry soap for about 2 dollars a gallon (recipes on the internet) which I love now-much more "natural" than the chemical detergents. Fels naphtha a major ingredient. I washed the squares by hand and made a quilt for Mom's birthday. Shhhh she knows but it still is a surprise. She has lost the internet since moving to assisted living. I need to change that culture asap. The tiny stitches remind me of a time without TV, without internet and when women might have sat around sewing scraps of fabric together to be passed to future generations looking for answers. Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Those are amazing. They remind me of the needlework my mother (who was old enough to be my grandmother) used to do. That quilt must be something. Would you post a picture of it when you are finished?
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a baby blanket in that design, it is over 50 years old. My grandmother made it and I used it for Nicole and Andrew. I love it!

    It is amazing to see it made with different hands. Such sweetness... I really like this pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments. Have a great day in the Universe!